São PauloSkyline São Paulo
Saturday 18 – Saturday 25 July 2015
The city of São Paulo is characterised by an endless horizon of monolithic and nondescript towers. A newly initiated masterplan promotes further vertical development by allowing a higher skyline and construction areas along public transportation corridors. Neighbourhoods once characterised by two-storey houses, gardens and ground-floor open shop fronts have been completely transformed by the introduction of fortressed monolithic residential and office towers, which lack any sort of urban street life. The new masterplan, however, requires buildings to have an open street facade to accommodate multiple programmes. The AA Visiting School São Paulo will address the changes being prescribed by the new masterplan through the redefinition of the tower typology in the extending of the ground of street culture, green landscapes and ecological mediation along the vertical axis of these buildings. In order to do so, the workshop will teach advanced digital design and fabrication techniques to explore a series of novel differentiating structural and environmental organisations in the redefinition of the São Paulo skyscraper.
Prominent Features of the workshop
- Teaching team: The teaching team will include tutors from the Architectural Association and other international designers, who specialize in advanced digital design and fabrication, as well as local-based architects, to promote innovative strategies informed by local political, economic and environmental issues.
- Computational skills: The workshop will teach advanced digital modeling and parametric design skills: no previous experience is needed. A group of specialist computation tutors will conduct an initial skills workshop and continue to assist throughout the workshop to develop the individual projects of the participants.
- Digital Fabrication: A series of physical models will be built using digital fabrication techniques, such as laser-cutting and rapid-prototyping, that will be taught during the workshop, no previous experience is needed.
1) You can make an application by completing the online application found under ‘Links and Downloads’ on the AA Visiting School page. If you are not able to make an online application, email email@example.com for instructions to pay by bank transfer.
2) Once you complete the online application and make a full payment, you are registered to the programme. A CV or a portfolio is not required.
The deadline for applications is July 14th, 2015.
All participants travelling from abroad are responsible for securing any visa required, and are advised to contact their home embassy early. After payment of fees, the AA School can provide a letter confirming participation in the workshop.
The AA Visiting School requires a fee of £695 per participant, which includes a £60 Visiting membership fee. If you wish to enhance your membership, a Subscribing Membership is available at an additional £70 (£130 in total), full details of which can be found at: https://www.aaschool.ac.uk/MEMBERSHIP/JOIN/becomeamember.php
Fees do not include flights or accommodation, but accommodation options can be advised. Students need to bring their own laptops, digital equipment and model making tools. Please ensure this equipment is covered by your own insurance as the AA takes no responsibility for items lost or stolen at the workshop.
The workshop is open to current architecture and design students, phd candidates and young professionals.
Escola da Cidade, Rua General Jardim, 65, 01223-011 – São Paulo SP