BOTTOMS, Edward

The AA and the Architectural Museum: Tracing the Royal Architectural Museum

Series:
Date: Friday 9 May 2008
Time: 00:00
Venue:
Running time: 60 mins
ollections in 1916. Founded in 1851 by a group of architectural professionals led by George Gilbert Scott, the Royal Architectural Museums collections were intended to form a museum of gothic casts for the education of art workmen the nucleus of a National Museum of Architecture. By the 1870s the museum was housed in purpose-built premises on Tufton Street, Westminster and contained over 4500 casts, including major runs contributed by John Ruskin and William Burges. It also housed well in excess of 2000 original pieces, boasting sculpture from Westminster Hall, a significant quantity of medieval woodwork and stained glass, architectural drawings and an important collection of 18th- and 19th-century architectural models. This lecture traces the development and display of the collections and the AAs role in engineering the museums closure and subsequent dispersal of its holdings.


All lectures are open to members of the public, staff and students unless otherwise stated.


July 2019
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031

Contacts

AA Photo Library has DVD copies of Public Programme lectures dating back to 1974

Links

Online Lectures
Lecture Archive

Share


Feedback

For any issues with video playback please contact
AA Digital Platforms

The Architectural Association, Inc. is incorporated as a company limited by guarantee (No.171402) and registered as a charity (No. 311083). Registered office: 36 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3ES, 020 7887 4000

Click here to read the AA’s latest review report.

Click here to read the AA’s latest action plan.

close