Audiovisual and Media Technician
Who We Are
The Architectural Association (AA) was founded in 1847. It is governed by its members and is committed to public benefit attained by the learning, teaching, discussion and promotion of architecture. With 850 students and staff the AA School is central to the AA. The school is recognised as a worldwide leader in architectural education, with graduates that include many of the world’s leading architects, scholars, critics and educators. The Architectural Association School of Architecture has maintained its independence for more than 160 years and its courses span from Foundation level to PhD.
This technical role requires expertise and support over three meshed areas: the facilitation and documentation of the AA’s public events and the delivery of online and archive material using video and streaming technology, the provision of AV equipment and relevant technical support to staff, students and visiting lecturers, including an equipment lending service, and the equipping, installation and maintenance of the school’s teaching spaces. The role is full-time and includes regular evening work.
Who We Seek
A dedicated audio-visual technician with experience of working in a high-profile educational setting. We seek a methodical, flexible person who responds well to the demands of live events and would enjoy working alongside some of the most creative students in the world.
The applicant must be able to work under his or her own initiative, and excellent interpersonal skills are essential. This is not an IT role.
- To assist in the provision and running of the AA’s Audiovisual Department and to follow working practices outlined by the School and its executives.
- To liaise with the Director’s Office and other relevant departments in the planning and implementation of public events and lectures.
- The stage management, monitoring and documentation of live public events.
- The video recording and online streaming of public events, the necessary preparation of archive video material for school and third-party use, and the securing of copyright agreements.
- To equip and maintain the AA’s teaching spaces as required. To maintain regular links with AA Co-ordinators in this regard and to work flexibly to maintain the smooth running of the School’s academic programme. To offer full technical support where required.
- To lend and demonstrate audio-visual equipment to staff and students and ensure the department’s lending and insurance policies are followed.
- The maintenance and first-line repair of equipment stock (including scheduled installation work). To liaise with the Head of Department in relation to stock control, repair and purchasing.
- To keep up-to-date records of equipment stock and archival material.
- To give advice and technical support to other departments where required, e.g. Exhibitions, Digital Platforms etc.
- To be aware of all school policies and developments. To be compliant in undertaking training and/or instruction as required by the School or Department.
- To organise student assistants and carry out training where necessary.
- A minimum of 2 years in a AV Technician/Media Technician role
- Further or higher qualifications in areas such as creative media production, audio production, multimedia, and digital media technology
- Broad range of software skills with a bias towards video, encoding and media creation
- Working knowledge of video, PA, projection and streaming technologies
- Awareness of academic practices and procedures
- An open attitude and awareness of architecture, art and design
- Experience of working in a similar educational environment would be an advantage
What We Offer
Competitive full-time salary with generous holiday benefits and a defined-contribution pension scheme.
How to Apply
A statement of interest and your CV along with salary expectations to email@example.com. Please ensure you put the job title in the subject heading. The deadline is 21st November 2014.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
The AA looks to make the appointment with start of work as soon as possible.
The AA, Inc. has an equal opportunities policy applicable to all job vacancies, and internal applicants are encouraged to apply.