List of currently available jobs:
Salary: £29,000.00 per annum
Reporting to: Head of Estates
Department: Estates and Facilities
Responsible for: 1 x Receptionist (P/T) & Student Assistants
Hours: 5 days per week from Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm / 11am-7pm / or 9am-7pm (depending on the agreed rota), with occasional weekends if required.
- To assist the Head of Estates in the smooth day to day running of the AA Reception and to ensure a professional service is provided at all times.
- To provide supervision and be the line manager for a team of Student Assistants and 1x part-time Receptionist. This includes the management of all Reception rotas, holiday approvals, and sickness records, updating of Reception documentation, recruitment, probations, performance reviews, and training of new staff (temporary or permanent).
- To be a primary initial contact for visitors and callers to the Architectural Association School of Architecture and thus to:
- manage switchboard
- provide information on all aspects of the AA activities
- receive and record all daily post & courier deliveries
- responsibly supervise the signing out keys and supply door codes for all
bookable spaces (and access to admin offices & unit spaces when necessary)
- appropriately handle & prepare all outgoing business mail for daily collection
- keep the Reception area & Information Desk in an orderly manner at all times
- provide visitors with essential information (i.e. fire alarm procedures, etc.) where appropriate
- To assist with the overall scheme management, security and safety.
General Reception & Front Desk Duties
General Reception & Front Desk Duties
- To operate the switchboard, referring callers to the appropriate colleague or department. Direct staff extensions should be provided whenever possible.
- To monitor the voicemail message service, presently activated at busy periods or when the Reception phone is engaged (if necessary).
- To manage the recording of all important information (i.e. weekly public programmes, premises closures, etc.)
- To provide, at own discretion, under the current AA data protection policy, information to callers who request contact information for staff, students, alumni & members.
- The Reception area also acts as an Information Desk. The Information Desk should always be a one-stop service to AA members and the visiting public for information pertaining to the AA and its programmes and events (a warm, friendly, helpful person should greet those who come into the AA whose highest priority is addressing their needs).
- The Information Desk should be informed as much as possible, on of all aspects of the school’s activities such as public programmes (i.e. lectures & symposiums etc.), forthcoming publications, and all academic events (i.e. juries, presentations etc.).
- The Head Receptionist should always be pro-active and resourceful in finding out about events at the AA, to ensure that all who work within the Reception area are always well informed.
- To provide general information to enquiries about events at the AA, referring to the weekly Events List, and directing people to the ‘What’s On’ section of the AA website for the most up-to-date information.
- To address and mail the AA prospectus (and other information, if necessary), in response to all telephone, email, and website requests for prospective course related materials.
- To maintain stock and supply of all AA materials within Reception, and to be responsible for keeping information leaflets and other materials readily available for the school community, visitors, and prospective future applicants (i.e. prospectus booklets etc.).
- To daily monitor, direct and reply to all incoming emails received in the Reception inbox, and to send & receive faxes from the Reception fax machine, which is the AA’s main fax number.
- To oversee, with the assistance of AA Security colleagues, the distribution and display of posters & notices on all school noticeboards (i.e. removal of all out of date information, inappropriate material, and general tidiness).
- To appropriately log all deliveries which are received at Reception (Royal Mail post & courier deliveries: boxes, packages, submissions for AA Admissions etc.), according to established Reception procedures.
- To promptly notify recipients of deliveries received at the AA Reception for immediate collection/removal from the Reception area. This task will require the responsible use of the AA database, to search for staff & students to obtain contact information.
- To responsibly sort all received post into the appropriate staff & department pigeonholes.
- To responsibly prepare all outgoing business mail for daily collection.
- To take responsibility for ensuring the stock and supply of all franking machine consumables, and mail sundries required and used within Reception (i.e. mail sacks, consignment sheets, log books, tracking labels, franking labels, and franking machine cartridges etc.).
Door Codes & Keys:
- To responsible oversee the distribution of door codes and room keys for access to bookable spaces, which should always be done with discretion, pertaining to daily room bookings.
- To oversee and assign AA Visitor Access cards, to guests & visitors that require access to ‘closed’ buildings. This should always be done with discretion to assist in maintaining the overall security of all AA premises.
- To arrange taxis for AA staff (and courier services, if necessary).
- To assign, and provide daily access to the AA guest Wi-Fi (including weekend access).
- To assist in the distribution of tickets to AA students (if required), on occasions where lectures & events within the AA public programme have become ticketed.
- To responsibly & carefully handle all items of lost property received at Reception (i.e. recording and storage within a safe place), and to appropriately dispose of all unclaimed items at the end of each Term (within the guidelines and discretions of the Estates department).
- To be responsible for the updating, reviewing and maintaining all Reception information and documentation (i.e. handbooks, manuals, procedures, lists, documents & website notices) specific to operations and training.
- To regularly update and maintain the RECEPTION HANDBOOK, to ensure clear instructions are always provided on every facet of Reception operations and procedures.
- To regularly report and brief the Head of Estates on all important matter regarding Reception.
- To ensure the dissemination of all important information regarding AA Reception operations to all AA staff (and newly appointed staff members) helping to ensure and maintain interdepartmental communication.
- To oversee all recorded information for all Public Programme information (on a weekly basis), and important information regarding premises closures.
Health & Safety:
- To represent the department as the point of contact for Health & Safety and to work closely together with the Estates team to ensure that procedures are implemented and maintained to the correct standard at all times.
- To represent the department as the fire officer, ensuring that all mandatory tests and drills are carried out as per all current H&S and Fire Safety Regulations.
- To ensure that the safety of all staff, students and visitors to the AA remains of paramount importance at all times.
- To support and assist the Head of Estates and Health & Safety team in carrying out risk assessments relevant to the Reception area: fire safety, building and COSHH.
- To ensure that the use of Health & Safety signage is observed at all times.
- To take part in any Health & Safety training within the AA in relation to specific areas such as fire safety, COSHH, manual handling, safety in the workplace practices etc.
- To ensure an effective delegation of tasks to all employed Reception staff, as necessary.
- To oversee all requested to undertake student assistantship at Reception
- To liaise with Human Resources and the Registrar’s department regarding the status of all Student Assistant applicants, and the right to work.
- To oversee and provide full Reception training for all employed Receptionists and Student Assistants (including all H&S procedures relevant to the Reception area).
- To provide full Reception cover, on all occasions of staff holiday/sickness leave.
Finance and cost control:
- To comply with the school purchasing policies and practices.
- To ensure that all stocks are managed in quantity and quality and secured at all times.
- To liaise with all internal contactors regarding all matters concerning Reception operations (i.e. Security & Maintenance staff, and the IT/Computing department).
- To liaise with all external contactors and Account Managers regarding all matters concerning Reception operations (i.e. franking machine, Royal Mail and other post & courier service providers).
- To manage & print Visitor Access Cards for Reception (and other departments) when needed.
- To oversee and take responsibility for the labelling of staff pigeonholes within Reception, at the start of each academic year, and to regularly maintain & update throughout the year.
- To be available for staff meetings and the school events, when necessary & required.
- To be available for occasional weekend work (if necessary) subject to days off in lieu or overtime at the rate in accordance with the school policy.
- To undertake any reasonable requests for ad hoc duties as requested by the Head of Estates.
- To be supportive and involved in any ongoing project.
- To be prepared for further training when necessary.
- Previous experience as a Receptionist or in a supervisory Front of House capacity
- Outstanding customer service skills and an approachable and friendly manner
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent personal presentation
- Team player
- Attention to detail
- Ability to use initiative and work under pressure in a calm considered manner
- The right to work in the UK
- This post requires strong organisational, time management and supervisory skills
The AA School of Architecture in London is looking for an exceptional and highly motivated individual to take lead of the AA Reception, as part of the Estates department. As an essential & central role to the daily life of the school, the AA Reception requires a Head Receptionist with strong organisational, coordinating & management qualities, who can work under pressure in a calm & efficient manner.
How to Apply:
Please apply by email by the closing date of 15th March 2017 to: email@example.com.Please include in your application:
- Full CV
- Covering letter/email highlighting why you feel you are the right person for the role
- Contact details for two referees (who will not be contacted without your prior permission)