Every year nearly 90 per cent of our full-time students come to the AA from abroad, creating a setting for a global discussion, debate and exchange of architectural ideas that makes the school unique.
The AA School accepts A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB), and a number of equivalent qualifications for entry to the Foundation and Undergraduate course.
The information below is to be used as guidance regarding the equivalent qualifications required for international students. You may also be required to meet our English language requirements as outlined on the website; please check this carefully before you apply.
Please be aware that the list below should be used as a guide only. The final decision regarding your application will be made once we receive your completed application form, transcripts and certificates, so that we can fully assess your qualifications and grades.
If your country is not listed please contact us at Undergraduateadmissions@aaschool.ac.uk
Applicants from the United KingdomEngland & Northern Ireland
- GCSE and IGCSE (Grades C and above as outlined under academic requirements)
- A Levels (Grades C and above as outlined under academic requirements)
- Pre-U (level) (Grades Merit 3 and above)
- Scottish Highers
- Scottish Advanced Highers and Scottish Baccalaureate
- GCSE and Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification Intermediate
- A Level and Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification Advanced
International BaccalaureateThe IB is considered equivalent to A Levels. Our requirements with regards to the International Baccalaureate are as follows:
- One subject taken from each of the six groups.
- There are no specific guidelines as to the choice of subjects.
- A qualification in Art/Art and Design would be recommended, but is not essential to an application.
- A minimum overall score of 29 points is required (in addition to satisfactory completion of the Theory of Knowledge course, Extended Essay and CAS).
- At least three of the six subjects taken should be at Higher Level (HL), with others at Subsidiary Level (SL).
Scanned copies of Diploma transcripts and the certificate from the International Baccalaureate will be required as part of the application (unless results are still pending).
- GCSE and A Level equivalent awards (Flanders): Diploma van de Hogere Secundaire Technische School; Diploma van Secundair Onderwijs
- GCSE and A Level equivalent awards (Wallonia):Abschlusszeugnis der Oberstufe des Sekundarunterrichts; Diplôme d'Aptitude à Accéder à l'Enseignement Supérieur
- GCSE equivalent awards: Grade 11 of Secondary School Diploma; Completion of Grade 11 of Secondary School; Diplôme d'Études Secondaires (DES) (Secondary School Diploma)
- A Level equivalent awards: General High School Diploma; British Columbia Adult Graduation Diploma; Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma; High School Completion Certificate; Ontario Secondary School Diploma; Secondary School Honours Graduation Diploma; Diplôme d'Études Collégiales (DEC – non technical); Completion Grade 12 Standing / Division IV Standing (Secondary School Diploma)
- GCSE & AS Level equivalent award: Senior Secondary School Graduation Certificate
- A Level equivalent award: Chinese University / College Entrance Examination (Gaokao)
- GCSE & A Level equivalent award: Diplôme du Baccalauréat Général
- Minimum overall score of 13
- GCSE equivalent awards: Realschulabschluss; Mittlere Reife; Mittlerer Schulabschluss; Erweiterter Realschulabschluss; Fachoberschulreife; Sekundarabschluss 1; Hauptschulabschluss
- A Level equivalent award: Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife / Abitur
- A minimum overall score of 2.5 points is required
- At least eight subjects overall must be taken, two of which should be Leistungskurse (intensive and specific subjects) and the remainder Grundkurse (general and broad subjects).
GreeceGreek applicants who are not taking A Levels or the International Baccalaureate should contact email@example.com regarding your qualifications prior to applying.
IndiaIndian applicants who are not taking A Levels or the International Baccalaureate should contact firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your qualifications prior to applying.
IrelandIrish applicants should contact email@example.com regarding your qualifications prior to applying.
- GCSE and A Level equivalent award: Diploma di Esame di Stato
- GCSE Level equivalent award: SPM (Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia) (Malaysia Certificate of Education)
- AS Level equivalent award: UEC Unified Examination Certificate (Senior Middle Level). Please note this qualification is not equivalent to A Levels. However, if you have passed this examination prior to completing one of the awards below you should include these transcripts and certificates with your application.
- A Level equivalent awards: Matrikulasi (Matriculation Certificate) / STPM (Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia) (Malaysia Higher School Certificate)
- GCSE Level equivalent awards: Certificat de Absolvire a Ciclului Inferior al Liceului (Junior High School Graduation Certificate); Certificat de Absolvire a Liceului (High School Graduation Certificate); Diplomă/Certificat de Absolvire a Invăţământului Obligatoriu de 10 ani (Compulsory Education Graduation Diploma/Certificate (Grade 10))
- A Level equivalent award: Diplomă de Bacalaureat (Baccalaureate Diploma)
- GCSE Level equivalent award: Singapore / Cambridge GCE O level
- A Level equivalent award: Singapore / Cambridge GCE A level
South KoreaSouth Korean applicants who are not taking A Levels or the International Baccalaureate should contact firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your qualifications prior to applying.
- GCSE equivalent award: Título de Graduado en Educación Secundaria Obligatoria (ESO)
- A Level equivalent award: Título de Bachiller
United States of America
- GCSE equivalent award: High School Graduation Diploma
- A Level equivalent award: Advanced Placement Exam (AP)
- Grades of 3 and above in at least 2, preferably 3 subjects